Believe it or not, a lot of salmon—so rich in health-giving omega-3 fats—can actually be unhealthy.
Since day one we’ve all heard how good fish is for the body, particularly salmon. But is there a such thing as too much salmon for your own good?
“Yes, salmon can be unhealthy,” says Stacy Mitchell Doyle, MD, resident physician of FoodTherapyMD and long-time advocate of plant-based nutritional protocols.
Dr. Doyle explains, “Although salmon contains anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids, and fish is infinitely better for you than beef, pork, chicken or other meat, salmon has a problem.
“And that problem is humans, and the way we have polluted the environment.
“There are two choices for salmon: wild and farm-raised. Both have issues. Farm-raised salmon has high levels of pesticides and antibiotics, and also has high [bad] fat content and a greater portion of omega-6 fatty acids (which are pro-inflammatory).
“Wild caught salmon has issues with pesticides, especially mercury. Mercury is a poison and toxic to humans, and all fish and shellfish contain it.
“Once it is in your body, it accumulates in the organs, and your body has no effective way to get rid of it.
“So yes, eating a lot of salmon can be unhealthy. I recommend to patients that they should limit fish to twice a week.”