Here are the instructions simplified on how to prepare the DigniCap® for the prevention of hair loss during chemotherapy.
Wetting the Hair
• Make sure hair is washed first at home before attending the treatment.
• Thoroughly wet hair; very important.
• Comb wet hair flat.
Cap Size and Fitting
• The silicone cap must be fitted very closely to patient’s scalp, covering all the (wet) hair.
• Do not let air get trapped between the cap and the scalp, as this will interfere with the cooling.
• There are different size caps available: XS, S, M and L.
• Minimize breaks during infusion.
Application of Cooling Cap
• The silicone cap goes on, followed by the neoprene outer cap.
Connect Cap to Cooling Unit
Begin the Scalp Cooling Treatment
• Hospital staff operates the cooling and control unit, not the patient.
• The target temperature is 37-41° F (3-5° C).
• Go here for instructions.
Let hair dry naturally.
In addition to these preparation instructions for the DigniCap® chemo hair loss prevention system, it’s important how you care for your hair between infusions.
• Avoid daily shampooing.
• When you do shampoo, use lukewarm water and gentle shampoo.
• Avoid heat applications—all of them.
• Avoid peroxides, perms, parabens, sodium laurel sulfate, silicones or “anti-frizz” ingredients.
• Don’t brush or comb more than twice a day, ideally once. Use a wide tooth comb.
• Avoid rubberbands and headbands.